The story in recent Pixar animated movie Coco revolved around the Mexican celebration of the Days of the Dead/Dia de Muertos. Dom Bettinelli, Deborah Schaben, and Angela Sealana discuss the Mexican and Catholic cultural traditions that informed the movie from both insider and outsider perspectives, as well as the deeper layers and meanings in the music and even the names.
Links for this episode:
- Leave us a review on iTunes!
- The 22 rules of storytelling according to Pixar
- The annotated lyrics for the Coco soundtrack
- Steven Greydanus’s review of Coco
- Buy Coco on DVD or Blu-Ray from Amazon through this link to support this podcast and SQPN.
- Find Angela Sealana on Twitter at @InspiredAngela
- Deborah Schaben’s podcast is Pilgrim Life
- Read more from Dom Bettinelli’s blog.