During the Cold War, the Soviet Union considered and even built doomsday systems that could launch nuclear strikes even if their leaders were dead. Jimmy Akin and Dom Bettinelli discuss the theoretical and actual doomsday devices as well as their practicality and morality.
Links for this episode:
- Help us continue to offer Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
- Please spread the word about the podcast. Leave us a review on iTunes!
- The Dead Hand by David Hoffman
- The Doomsday Men by Peter D. Smith
- Pope St. John Paul II’s speech on deterrence
- Leo Szilard on Wikipedia
- Article on Perimeter on WIRED
- Brief video on the Soviet tanker device
- Check out Jimmy Akin’s blog and Dom Bettinelli’s blog.
- Join the conversation at the Starquest Facebook page and the Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World Facebook page.
- Send your feedback or comments to [email protected]
- Prehistoric girl had parents belonging to different human species
- Why haven’t we found aliens yet?
- Why I Want To Put a Kindle in Space