MYS046: On June 24, 1947, pilot Kenneth Arnold saw something odd in the skies of Washington state. When he landed, he touched off the modern era of UFO sightings. Jimmy Akin and Dom Bettinelli discuss the theories of what he saw and eliminate them all, until only one remains.
Help us continue to offer Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- Bruce Maccabee’s book Three Minutes in June: The UFO Sighting That Changed the World
- Picture of Arnold holding illustration of lead object
- Arnold’s diagram of other objects
- Wikipedia on Kenneth Arnold
- Wikipedia on the Sighting
- Kenneth Arnold’s book The Coming of the Saucers
- 1950 Arnold interview with Edward R. Murrow
- Article on mountain climbing hallucinations
- Wikipedia on Fata Morgana mirages
- Wikipedia on the Horten Ho 229
- Please spread the word about the podcast. Leave us a review on iTunes!
- Purchase the books and other material from this and other episodes at the Mysterious World Bookstore.
- Check out Jimmy Akin’s blog and Dom Bettinelli’s blog.
- Join the conversation at the Starquest Facebook page and the Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World Facebook page.
- Send your feedback or comments to [email protected] or send a tweet with the hashtag of #mysteriousfeedback