SME048: Explore the theological and philosophical themes concerning good, evil, and power, as reflected in the One Ring’s symbolism. Thomas Salerno, Jeff Haecker, and Mike Schramm discuss the influences of Tolkien’s work on modern fantasy, highlighting the Ring’s evolution from a plot tool to a symbol of power and corruption, paralleled in modern takes on sin and redemption. The Ring’s symbolic narrative rooted in Judeo-Christian themes signifies a timeless struggle between power’s allure and the redemption found in its renunciation, showcasing Tolkien’s enduring impact on the genre and moral discourse.
Get all new episodes automatically and for free:
Follow by Email | Listen to this episode and subscribe on YouTube.
Help us continue to offer the Secrets of Middle Earth. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts!
- You can watch The Rings of Power on Amazon Prime.
- Purchase J.R.R. Tolkien books and Blu-ray/DVDs at the Secrets of Middle Earth Store (Coming soon).
- Join the conversation at the SQPN Facebook page.
- Be part of the StarQuest Discord community at SQPN.com/discord
- Send your feedback or comments to [email protected]
Want to Sponsor A Show?
Support StarQuest’s mission to explore the intersection of faith and pop culture by becoming a named sponsor of the show of your choice on the StarQuest network. Click to get started or find out more.