MYS052: People have been fascinated by hypnosis for centuries and it’s claimed it can stop smoking, help you lose weight, and even surface memories of childhood trauma, past lives, and alien abductions. Jimmy Akin and Dom Bettinelli look at the claims to determine what’s true and what’s not.
Help us continue to offer Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- Robert Baker’s book “They Call It Hypnosis”
- Elizabeth Loftus’s book “The Myth of Repressed Memory”
- Wikipedia on Hypnosis
- Wikipedia on Placebo Effect
- Penn & Teller’s Non-Hypnotic Levitation Trick
- “Is Hypnosis Fake?” TED Talk
- Elizabeth Loftus’s article “Creating False Memories”
- False Memory Syndrome Foundation website
- John F. Kihlstrom’s article “Hypnosis, Memory, and Amnesia”
- Current APA Definition of Hypnosis
- 2014 definition from Society of Psychological Hypnosis
- Society of Psychological Hypnosis pamphlet “Hypnosis: What It Is and How It Can Help You Feel Better”
- 1966 U.S. Intelligence document “Hypnosis in Intelligence”
- Pius XII’s 1956 “Religious and Moral Implications of Analgesia”
- Please spread the word about the podcast. Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
- Purchase the books and other material from this and other episodes at the Mysterious World Bookstore.
- Join the conversation at the Starquest Facebook page and the Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World Facebook page.
- Send your feedback or comments to [email protected] or send a tweet with the hashtag of #mysteriousfeedback