ACH018: In the late 19th century, Charles Seghers was bishop of Vancouver, then archbishop of Oregon City, but his heart was in the missions of Alaska. Tom and Noelle Crowe tell us the story of this man of God who had a heart for the missions of the extreme Northwest and of his tragic death.
Get all new episodes automatically and for free:
Help us continue to offer American Catholic History. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- Archbishop Seghers, Pacific Coast Missionary (PDF)
- Biography – SEGHERS, CHARLES JOHN – Volume XI (1881-1890) – Dictionary of Canadian Biography
- Charles John Seghers – Wikipedia
- CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Charles John Seghers
- The Apostle of Alaska, Archbishop Charles Seghers – Crisis Magazine
- The Life and Death of Missionary Bishop Seghers
- The bishop, the madman, and murder – Yukon News
- If you like American Catholic History, you may also enjoy The American Catholic Almanac.
- Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
- Join the conversation at the StarQuest Facebook page.
- Send us your feedback or comments at [email protected]