MYS067: After WWI, a mysterious new kind of radio station appeared that transmitted only numbers. Those stations have been with us ever since. Jimmy Akin and Dom Bettinelli look at the mysterious stations, asking who started them, what they’re for, and what is their mysterious message.
Help us continue to offer Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- William Poundstone’s book “Big Secrets”
- Invention of Radio
- NATO Phonetic Alphabet
- Music in Numbers Stations (video)
- One-time Pads
- Picture of a one-time pad
- The Buzzer
- Letter Beacons
- Please spread the word about the podcast. Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
- Purchase the books and other material from this and other episodes at the Mysterious World Bookstore.
- Join the conversation at the Starquest Facebook page and the Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World Facebook page.
- Send your feedback or comments to [email protected] or send a tweet with the hashtag of #mysteriousfeedback
- Crusaders and Historians
- What Was Russia’s Mysterious Nuclear Explosion?
- What Would Life on an Ocean Moon Look Like?