MYS092: Outside Detroit in August 1994, teenage Boy Scout David Hahn was discovered to have gathered a dangerous cache of radioactive materials. Jimmy Akin and Dom Bettinelli explore why David was stockpiling these materials, how he got his hands on them, and how the adults in his family and in authority reacted when they found out.
Help us continue to offer Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Chapters for this episode:
MYS092 – 00:00:00
Intro – 00:22:17
August 31, 1994 – 02:18:55
Thank you to our Patrons – 06:47:07
The beginning – 07:14:12
David’s parents’ reactions – 12:10:11
Turning point – 13:28:21
How a nuclear reactor works – 15:14:25
David decides to make a reactor – 27:17:46
Collecting radioactive materials – 28:38:64
Radium and Marie Curie – 33:51:05
Shut down by the authorities – 38:49:33
David until today – 42:21:10
Faith Perspective – 43:56:25
Bottom Line – 46:17:74
Further Resources – 46:44:46
Mysterious Feedback – 47:41:56
Mysterious Headlines – 50:36:34
What do you think? – 52:45:00
Next Time: Reincarnation – 53:09:47
Outro – 53:26:12
Links for this episode:
- Ken Silverstein’s book The Radioactive Boy Scout
- Sam Kean’s book The Disappearing Spoon
- James Mahaffey’s book Atomic Accidents
- The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments (CD)
- Prof. James Duane’s book You Have the Right to Remain Innocent
- David Hahn (Wikipedia)
- Ken Silverstein’s Harper’s Magazine article
- Prof. James Duane’s “Don’t Talk to the Police” Debate
- “History’s Greatest Monster” Simpsons clip
- Recycling Nuclear Fuel
- Breeder Reactors
- Please spread the word about the podcast. Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
- Purchase the books and other material from this and other episodes at the Mysterious World Bookstore.
- Join the conversation at the Starquest Facebook page and the Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World Facebook page.
- Send your feedback or comments to [email protected] or send a tweet with the hashtag of #mysteriousfeedback