ACH052: John Fitzgerald was a Catholic and one of George Washington’s aides de camp. Tom and Noëlle Crowe tell us that Fitzgerald helped Washington avoid a coup during the war and remained close to his old general after. He may even have gotten the President to donate to building the first Catholic church in Virginia.
Get all new episodes automatically and for free:
Help us continue to offer American Catholic History. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- John Fitzgerald · George Washington’s Mount Vernon
- The Sacred Heart Review, Volume 41, Number 6 — 30 January 1909 — Boston College Newspapers
- Lt Col John Fitzgerald – Valley Forge National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)
- George Washington and Colonel John Fitzgerald – The Basilica of Saint Mary
- VA. Hibernian’s Seek Answers on Removal of Irish Immigrants Name From Fitzgerald Square
- LTC John Fitzgerald (Unknown-1799) – Find A Grave Memorial
- If you like American Catholic History, you may also enjoy The American Catholic Almanac.
- Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
- Join the conversation at the StarQuest Facebook page.
- Send us your feedback or comments at [email protected]