ACH125: As we observe the 80th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, Tom and Noëlle Crowe remind us of the story of Fr. Aloysius Schmitt, an Iowa farm boy turned Catholic Navy Chaplain, who sacrificed his own life helping sailors aboard the doomed USS Oklahoma escape its destruction.
Get all new episodes automatically and for free:
Follow by Email | Listen to this episode and follow on YouTube.
Help us continue to offer American Catholic History. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- Pearl Harbor priest identified 75 years later | Catholic News Agency
- Remember Pearl Harbor: The Sacrifice of Fr. Al Schmitt
- Pearl Harbor: A Reflection – Catholic World Report
- Aloysius Schmitt – Wikipedia
- SCHMITT, Aloysius – Encyclopedia Dubuque
- Opinion: Aloysius Schmitt’s story of sacrifice changes our lives
- Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World
- Learn about our upcoming pilgrimages to important and unforgettable Catholic holy sites
- If you like American Catholic History, you may also enjoy The American Catholic Almanac. To find other books about this and other topics covered in the podcast, please visit the American Catholic History store. Your purchases there help support the show.
- Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
- Join the conversation at the StarQuest Facebook page.
- Send us your feedback or comments at [email protected]
Want to Sponsor A Show?
Support StarQuest’s mission to explore the intersection of faith and pop culture by becoming a named sponsor of the show of your choice on the StarQuest network. Click to get started or find out more.