ACH169: In 1916, three brave Sisters of St. Joseph were arrested for teaching black children. Tom and Noëlle Crowe tell us how, with Bishop Michael Curley of St. Augustine by their side, they fought the law and won! Discover their inspiring battle against segregation in Florida.
Get all new episodes automatically and for free:
Follow by Email | Listen to this episode and follow on YouTube.
Help us continue to offer American Catholic History. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- Catholic Sisters Arrested for Teaching Blacks
- Sisters of St. Joseph Mark 150 Years of Service in Florida
- War in Florida: Desegregated Private Schools
- 20 May 1916: Nuns Arrested for Teaching Black Children
- Learn about our upcoming pilgrimages to important and unforgettable Catholic holy sites
- If you like American Catholic History, you may also enjoy The American Catholic Almanac. To find other books about this and other topics covered in the podcast, please visit the American Catholic History store. Your purchases there help support the show.
- Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
- Join the conversation at the StarQuest Facebook page.
- Send us your feedback or comments at [email protected]
Want to Sponsor A Show?
Support StarQuest’s mission to explore the intersection of faith and pop culture by becoming a named sponsor of the show of your choice on the StarQuest network. Click to get started or find out more.