TEC239: A marketing company has claimed it can listen in on people’s smartphones and digital assistants. Dom Bettinelli and Joanne Mercier discuss why it is likely untrue, but also how we can all do more to protect our privacy and be aware of how we “leak” data about ourselves all the time.
Get all new episodes automatically and for free:
Follow by Email | Listen to this episode and subscribe on YouTube.
Help us continue to offer Secrets of Technology. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- Marketer sparks panic with claims it uses smart devices to eavesdrop on people | Ars Technica
- Are You Worried About Smart Home Devices Listening to You? | PCMag
- Is your phone listening to you, explained – Vox
- How to stop all your smart devices from listening to you
- Consumers are paying more than ever for streaming TV each month and analysts say there’s no reason for the companies to stop raising prices
- Court rules automakers can record and intercept owner text messages
- The mystery of the disappearing Google Drive files • The Register
- Google confirms reason for missing Google Drive files
- Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
- Join the conversation at the StarQuest Facebook page.
- Be part of the StarQuest Discord community at SQPN.com/discord
- Email us feedback or comments to [email protected]
Picks of the Week:
- Joanne: BASEQI UHS-II Aluminum microSD Adapter for 2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14 & 16” (Space Gray)
- Dom: Arc from The Browser Company
Want to Sponsor A Show?
Support StarQuest’s mission to explore the intersection of faith and pop culture by becoming a named sponsor of the show of your choice on the StarQuest network. Click to get started or find out more.
Disclaimer: Hosts, panelists, and guests may have a financial interest in the companies discussed through investments or other means. Their opinions and recommendations are not affected and do not present a conflict of interest. We offer this statement in the interest of full disclosure.