ACH031: Fr. Peter Whelan was an elderly Irish priest in Georgia and South Carolina who brought Christ to the sick and imprisoned during the Civil War. Tom and Noëlle Crowe tell how brought Christ to both Confederate POWs in the North, and Union POWs at the most notorious prison camp in the South, Andersonville.
Get all new episodes automatically and for free:
Help us continue to offer American Catholic History. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- Fr. Peter Whelan: Serving the Blue and the Gray – The Wild Geese
- Peter Whelan (priest) – Wikipedia
- Fr. Whelan, Angel of Andersonville, is Honored in Wexford | Irish America
- Fr.Peter Whelan, the Angel of Andersonville – Pearl River Ancient Order of Hibernians
- Andersonville National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)