TEC049: Some tech companies are starting to decide whether you can do business with them based on your online activity, profession, political beliefs, and more. Dom Bettinelli, Thomas Sanjurjo, and Jack Baruzzini look into the implications of this trend and what, if anything, we can do.
Help us continue to offer Secrets of Technology. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- Your online activity is now effectively a social ‘credit score’ | Engadget
- The secretive company that might end privacy as we know it – SFGate
- Robot Priests Are Changing Human Religion | OneZero
- The Machine Stops – Wikipedia
- The Machine Stops, by E.M. Forster (online text)
- Algorithm Religion | John Waters | First Things
- Trump signs Traced Act into law in bid to help put an end to robocalls – CNET
- HP Remotely Disables a Customer's Printer Until He Joins Company's Monthly Subscription Service – Slashdot
Picks of the Week:
Disclaimer: Hosts, panelists, and guests may have a financial interest in the companies discussed through investments or other means. Their opinions and recommendations are not affected and do not present a conflict of interest. We offer this statement in the interest of full disclosure.