ACH037: Two Catholics–a priest and a layman–were instrumental to the American victory over the British in the Northwest campaign of the Revolutionary War. Tom & Noëlle Crowe tell the stories of how Fr. Pierre Gibault and Francis Vigo rallied Catholic settlers and helped Gen. George Rogers Clark to victory in the Illinois campaign.
Get all new episodes automatically and for free:
Help us continue to offer American Catholic History. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- Father Gibault: The Patriot Priest of the Northwest
- Pierre Gibault, Priest And Patriot Of The Northwest In The Eighteenth Century
- Biography – GIBAULT, PIERRE – Volume V (1801-1820) – Dictionary of Canadian Biography
- Francis Vigo – George Rogers Clark National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)
- Francis Vigo – Wikipedia
- George Rogers Clark – Wikipedia
- St. Francis Xavier Cathedral and Library – Wikipedia