MYS098: Every day, creatures all over the world just shut down, lose consciousness, and then start back up again hours later and science still isn’t sure why it happens. Jimmy Akin and Dom Bettinelli explore the mystery of sleep, why it’s necessary, and how we can get more of this precious commodity.
Help us continue to offer Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- Dr. Craig Heller’s Great Courses’ Secrets of Sleep Science
- Roger Ekirch’s book At Day’s Close: Night in Times Past
- Matthew Walker’s book Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams
- Critique of Walker’s book
- Walker’s response
- Sleep (non-humans)
- Sleep (humans)
- Fatal Insomnia
- First and Second Sleep
- CDC sleep deprivation statistics
- Sleep hygiene
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and insomnia
- Weighted blanket information
- Star Trek on Sleep
- Please spread the word about the podcast. Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
- Purchase the books and other material from this and other episodes at the Mysterious World Bookstore.
- Join the conversation at the Starquest Facebook page and the Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World Facebook page.
- Send your feedback or comments to [email protected] or send a tweet with the hashtag of #mysteriousfeedback