ACH122: Fr. Augustus Tolton was the first black-identifying priest in the US, and Tom and Noëlle Crowe tell us his story, from his rise from slavery to school to seminary in Rome to his return to the US, where he eventually became the pastor for all black Catholics throughout Chicago.
Get all new episodes automatically and for free:
Follow by Email | Listen to this episode and follow on YouTube.
Help us continue to offer American Catholic History. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- Fr. Tolton’s Life and Times – Augustus Tolton
- Augustus Tolton | American priest | Britannica
- Augustine Tolton, Ex-Slave and First Black Catholic Priest in U.S., Takes Step to Sainthood – The New York Times
- They Called Him Father Gus, by Father Roy Bauer
- Seeking favors, miracles from God through Fr. Tolton
- From American slave to Catholic priest: Meet “Good Father Gus”
- Venerable Augustus Tolton | UND
- Father Augustus Tolton
- Learn about our upcoming pilgrimages to important and unforgettable Catholic holy sites
- If you like American Catholic History, you may also enjoy The American Catholic Almanac. To find other books about this and other topics covered in the podcast, please visit the American Catholic History store. Your purchases there help support the show.
- Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
- Join the conversation at the StarQuest Facebook page.
- Send us your feedback or comments at [email protected]
Want to Sponsor A Show?
Support StarQuest’s mission to explore the intersection of faith and pop culture by becoming a named sponsor of the show of your choice on the StarQuest network. Click to get started or find out more.