ACH051: Before he was the first president of Boston College, Jesuit Fr. John Bapst served Catholics as a pastor in Maine. Tom and Noëlle Crowe tell us how Fr. Bapst ran afoul of the anti-Catholic Know Nothings, courageously standing up for his faith and his people to the point of tarring and feathering.
Get all new episodes automatically and for free:
Help us continue to offer American Catholic History. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- Father John Bapst and the Know-Nothing Movement in Maine
- Fr. John Bapst Survives Tar & Feathers, Becomes 1st Boston College President – New England Historical Society
- Father John Bapst, S.J.: An Evangelist Among the Know Nothings – Crisis Magazine
- 164 years ago, this Bangor priest was tarred, feathered and ridden on a rail – Bangor Daily News
- Tarred and feathered — the 1854 letter of Father Bapst.