ACH080: In Philadelphia in 1844, tensions between Catholics and Protestants over religious indoctrination in public schools boiled over into violence. Tom and Noëlle Crowe tell how anti-Catholic nativism sparked running street battles that left dozens dead and dozens more homes, businesses, and churches destroyed.
Get all new episodes automatically and for free:
Help us continue to offer American Catholic History. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- The Philadelphia Bible Riots of 1844: Contest Over the Rights of Citizens
- Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia | Nativist Riots of 1844
- When fear and hatred of Irish Catholics set fire to an American city
- Bullets and Bigots: Remembering Philadelphia’s 1844 Anti-Catholic Riots
- American Catholic History pilgrimage to the Kentucky Catholic Holy Land in 2021
- If you like American Catholic History, you may also enjoy The American Catholic Almanac. To find other books about this and other topics covered in the podcast, please visit the American Catholic History store. Your purchases there help support the show.
- Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
- Join the conversation at the StarQuest Facebook page.
- Send us your feedback or comments at [email protected]
Want to Sponsor A Show?
Support StarQuest’s mission to explore the intersection of faith and pop culture by becoming a named sponsor of the show of your choice on the StarQuest network. Click to get started or find out more.